Preparation time: None!
Clean-up time: None! (Unless you and your toddler decide to play Freeze! around Grandma Edna's precious chinaware, in which case: Lots! We do not recommend this.)
Game Duration: As long as you like, but generally between 5 and 15 minutes, depending on the age and stamina of your toddler. Remember, you are playing with your toddler, so if you're having fun, chances are that your little one will too!
What you will need:
- A source of music! It doesn't matter what you use or what music you play because this toddler game centers around the start/stop of the sound. If you're really in a pinch, you could improvise a musical instrument with some pots and pans, (not the chinaware!) or you could simply sing a jaunty tune!
- Game-friendly space! You don't need to bring this game outside but it is recommended that you choose a space where your toddler can freely move around.
How to Play:
Play music and move when the music is on and freeze when you turn it off. Let the toddler choose the movement (bouncing, hopping, spinning, marching, etc...). Exaggeration is key, so make the movements clear and enthusiastic and be completely still when the music stops. The more amusing the frozen position, the more fun the game!
- Even though you are in control of the music, act surprised when the music stops.
- If possible, stop the music during a position that your toddler can hold with success; while choosing a position for yourself that is difficult to hold and silly looking.
- Whatever you do, don't penalize your toddler for laughing and failing to hold still. The object of the game is to have fun! Laugh with him/her!
- We've found that it can be a lot of fun to play music on an apparatus that you can control with a remote. If you memorize where the 'play' and 'pause' buttons are, you won't have to look at your hand, and with a little practice, the start/stop of the music will seem to occur magically!
Return from Freeze to Active Play
Return from Freeze to Toddler Games and Activities